Friday, December 2, 2011

Behind The Glamorous City Lights of Dubai


Let me tell you about my story on how I made it through in setting foot in the glamorous emirate which is Dubai. So this is how it all started...

Seven months ago, I made a very important decision which I know would greatly change my life. The plan was to work in Dubai leaving the comfort zone that I have grown up with. With the help of my brother I was able to immediately received my visit visa which took 1 month for him to process. I was so excited but I noticed suddenly that every month passed seemed to make me feel anxious and nervous. Reality strucked me the moment I received my itinerary, for me there is no backing out. In no time I will be leaving my beloved families, beloved one and friends not seeing them for 2 years.

I was quite prepared for the decision I made. I wanted to achieve the experience of being alone and independent in a foreign land. The thrill and excitement of living is ahead of me. I wasn't sure on how my life works once I arrive.

 I felt extremely awful as I stepped in the airport terminal in Cebu and about to check in my luggage. Im shaking to my bones the time I bid farewell to my mom, sister, auntie, and the rest of my family. I cant stand to watch their faces as I enter the terminal. I cried the time I was inside the waiting area for departure.

Well thats the end of the sad part of my story. Now lets continue...

I took the connecting flight which is Cebu to Hongkong and Hongkong to Dubai. Time travelled from Cebu to Dubai took eleven hours to my arrival. It was Cathay Pacific airline, gosh the plane is huge and so damn cold. I barely cant sleep in my travel. Flight attendants keep feeding us, I felt like we are in a prison.. haha I kinda dont like the food also. The only thing I ate was the bread and mayonnaise. I enjoyed watching the small screen lcd in front of me showing the altitude and the estimated time of arrival as well as the location we are in.

Finally, safe and sound I stepped down to take my first step in UAE. The airport is so wide and spacious. We rushed to immigration dept to have  our passport stamped and showed our visit visas. We then took some eye scan to register identity.

My brother Jun waited for me for 2 hours in the arrival area. Im so happy to see him for like 3 years we haven't seen each other until that time. It was roughly 4am as we headed in his flat in Sharjah. I get to finally reunite with him and his wife, Kathleen.

My second day in Dubai went tragic or somehow I called it adventure. Both my cousins visited me and took me from Sharjah going to Dubai. As we headed to our destination we dont have any idea that we took the opposite side of the road going far to where we are supppose to go. Considering my cousin who just received her new license so we anticipate the experience. haha

 As we travelled for nearly two hours and somehow had finally see some progress we got bumped by another car and was caught up with a minor accident. So what to expect? Again we waited for another one hour in addition to our misadventure. It was fun though getting stucked up in the middle of the road seeing cars passed through us and staring at us. LOL


hongkong arrival - connecting flight




wonder why i look so haggard?

my cousin explaining her heart out to the patrol officer

me and my cousin "richan"
Thank God! We finally overcome all the obstacles. "Its better than late than never" is our motto on that day.



spotted lamborghini

view from Damac Waves - Dubai Marina

Good Morning Dubai

a healthy meal - i missed eating rice even for 1 day

going to Business Bay

inside Dubai Marina's metro station

Metro Station

It has been almost two months since I arrived in the luxurious city of Dubai, country of United Arab Emirates. Awe and amazed by the unique structures of towers and skyscrapers and the city lights. If you get to look at it, you might think like its painted in a big picture. I was surprised on how I met so many Filipinos anywhere I go, I get to see one, I supposed its the sister country of the Philippines.


2 comments:

  1. So brave of you to make the move! Wishing you all the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cousin Richan sounds crazy, be careful

    ReplyDelete